Flooding is one of the most disastrous and unfortunate common phenomena that affects people today. There are many regions and countries in the world that are prone to floods, due to their climate or their geographical characteristics. Floods can be quite hazardous and cause serious damage. If you are living in an area like this, you should be well prepared in order to avoid serious situations. Preventing flood damage in homes is not difficult if owners take all necessary measures.
Your house should be elevated and reinforced in order to avoid possible flooding. You should also take care of particular elements, such as the electric panel and heaters, water pumps and any administration panel related to water and heat supply. You should also take some measures to prevent blockage of drains, install sewer taps and make sure that they are connected to valves that control water if needed. Sewers and drains are the prime source of flooding and can allow water to enter houses if not closed when necessary.
If you have a basement, sealing the walls with waterproof elements and compounds, you will not only prevent water from coming in, but you will also make sure the walls do not absorb moisture.
If you are warned about a coming flood, you should prepare both you and your house for a possible disastrous situation.
Tips to Ensure The Least Amount of Flood Damage
- Turn off all utilities, such as water and power supply, gas or anything else of that kind.
- Make sure that you turn off their main source and disconnect all the appliances from plugs.
- If your washing machine or dryer are in the basement, try to build a small deck and elevate them as much as possible.
- Cover cords and cables with waterproofing materials to avoid serious electrical problems.
- Keep in mind that appliances are not be turned on right away after the flood is over. If you cannot have an electrician check them before use, try to make sure that everything is as dry as possible, and open them gradually, one by one.
Be prepared and prevent home flood damage with these simple tips, especially if you live in a flood prone area even if flooding is not expected or is controllable.
If you have any questions or need further assistance, please contact Choice Home Inspections Services at 770-490-6911, or click here to contact us by email.